Minutes : 1781 - 1812.

Call Number: HIL-MICL FC LPR .N6C6S4K5M5
Category: Nova Scotia
Creator: Nova Scotia. Court of General Quarter Sessions of the Peace (Kings County).
Description: 1 microfilm textual records (5 volumes) ; 35 mm
Background:
            Kings County was established by the Governor and Council of Nova Scotia on August 17, 1759.  It was one of the five original counties and encompassed a large area with Horton as the County Town.  Because of distance and difficulty in crossing the river Avon, the inhabitants of the Townships of Windsor, Falmouth, and Newport petitioned the Governor and Council for a separate jurisdiction.  Accordingly, on June 17, 1791, the County of Hants was created and new boundary lines were drawn for both Counties.
            
Contents:
            The Minutes of the Proceedings of the Sessions Court reflect the boundary changes described previously.  Appointments of local officials are listed for Windsor, Falmouth and Newport in the Minutes until 1781, along with those for Cornwallis and Horton.  After that date, lists for the Townships of Aylesford and Parrsborough appear in the record.  Beside the usual petitions, accounts of expenditures, Grand Jury cases and decisions, and other matters that came before the Court, the microfilm contains a few pages of, Minutes of the Court of Common Pleas for 1780-1781, and a County Rate Bill (ledger) for 1829.  The ledger is an alphabetically arranged list of names with the amount paid by each person.

            
Originals: The original records are held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.
Archival Ref. No.: PANS RG 34-316, Series P, vols. 5-9.
Finding Aids:
            An inventory description is available in print.
            
Electronic Finding Aid Record:
Notes:
Part Of:
Other With: