Registers and Records : 1782-1966.
|Call Number:||HIL-MICL FC LCR .N6F7E2R4|
|Creator:||Free Church Congregation (Earltown, Nova Scotia : Presbyterian).|
|Description:||1 microfilm textual records (4 registers) ; 35 mm|
The first church was built in 1835 and was replaced by a new building in 1870. In July 1845 the congregation discontinued its connection with the Church of Scotland. In 1861 the congregation joined with the Established Church of Scotland to form the Presbyterian Church of the Lower Provinces of British North America. This organization became one of the four branches of Presbyterianism to unite and form the national Presbyterian Church of Canada in 1875. Earltown is located in the Presbytery of Pictou. Falls Section was formed into a separate preaching station on 8 February 1858.
Register 1: baptisms, 1844-1861; marriages, 1846-1854; deaths, 1845-1857. Register 2: family registries, 1782-1878; baptisms and births, 1814-1858, 1869-1870, 1888-1897, plus a nominal index (incomplete). Register 3: births and baptisms, 1817-1912; marriages, 1879-1886; deaths, 1879, 1883-1897; minutes of meetings; lists of members. Register 4: rolls of pastors, elders and deacons, communicants, church infant members and adult members, 1846-1966; marriages, 1901-1964; and deaths, 1900-1924. Many records are out of sequence. Includes Earltown, West Branch River John and The Falls, as well as the residents of Spidell Hill, Back Mountain, Balmoral, Waugh River, Berechin, Loganville, New Annan, Dalhousie Mountain, Mount Thom, Tatamagouche and Kemptown.
|Originals:||The original records are held by the Public Archives of Nova Scotia.|
|Archival Ref. No.:||PANS MG 4.|
The Table of Contents for each register has been included on the microfilm.The Table of Contents is available in print.
|Electronic Finding Aid Record:||
Free Church Congregation Registers and Records Document List.pdf
|Notes:||The Table of Contents on the microfilm is not completely accurate. Researchers are advised to use the Table of Contents in print.|