The early records of the Sessions Court for Digby Township will be found among the Annapolis County Records. Digby Township was named in honour of Rear Admiral Robert Digby who sent Loyalists from New York in 1783 to settle at Conway, later Digby. The Township was not set off as a separate County from Annapolis until 1837. Until that date, the area was regarded as the Western District of Annapolis County.
Sessions Book 1, 1800-1829, contains the records of the Sessions Court and Grand Jury Proceedings held at the Sessions House in Digby for the County of Annapolis. The date of each session, the list of jurors, the names of the parties involved in a case before the court, the nature of the case, and an account of the hearing, including the final decision, are all recorded. Other business includes petitions heard and decisions rendered; reports of public accounts; committee reports; and lists of Town Officers Nominated by the Grand Jury and Appointed by the Court for the Western District of Annapolis County. The areas included are the Townships of Digby, the District of Clare, and Long and Brier Islands.