Lennox and Addington County is located in southern Ontario on Lake Ontario and the Bay of Quinte. Amherst Island is part of the County. Lennox and Addington were separate counties when they were created, along with seventeen other counties of Upper Canada, on July 16, 1792, by proclamation of Lieutenant Governor Simcoe. Lennox County was named for Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond (1734-1806) and Addington County was named for Henry Addington, Viscount Sidmouth (1755-1844). In 1798, the two counties were temporarily joined, and in 1860 this municipal union was formalized. The Lennox and Addington Historical Society was founded in 1907, but its origins date back to the Mechanics Institute and Library Association founded in 1878.
The Collection is composed of both printed primary sources and secondary material Volume I contains, The Chronicles of Napanee, as well as articles on Yarker and Centreville, the origin of local names, some early amusements, and notes on ecclesiastical history in the Bay of Quinte District. In Volume II, there are copies of original documents from the Society's collection, and articles on the first telegraph office in Napanee, the town of Newburg, early education, and on John Thomson the inventor of the process for making wood pulp.Volume III and Volume IV, contain the Casey Scrap Books, which include essays on the Old Adolphustown Burying Ground, Champlain and the Bay of Quinte District, slavery in the Midland District, early Bay of Quinte steamboating, District Councils, Amherst Island, and many other topics. Volume V, is composed of school records, and includes early school registers and the Bell and Laing School Papers.Volume VI, has two major items, Pioneer Life on the Bay of Quinte, and The Court of Requests. The author of both entries is Walter S. Herrington. Also included in this volume are fifteen illustrations including residences, public buildings, implements, utensils, and even bank notes.Volume VII and VIII (double number) contain, The Constitutional Debate in the Legislative Assembly of 1836.Volume IX, contains the Canniff Collection, which is made up of papers and documents presented to the Society by Dr. William Canniff.Volume X, is entitled, Newspapers of the County, and includes extracts from old newspaper files from the original counties. The contents page for the volume lists the newspapers by name.Volume XI is a selection of editorials from an old newspaper, The North American, that once was published in Lennox and Addington.Volume XII and Volume XIII, contain the Napanee Standard for 1862-1863 and 1866 respectively.