James Parrot/Parrott (c.1738-1821) was a farmer residing at Little White Creek, Cambridge District, Albany County, New York, at the outbreak of the American Revolution. He joined the British Army at Crown Point in November, 1776, enlisting as a lieutenant in Captain Peters' Corps, the Queen's Loyal Rangers, which later merged with the King's Loyal Americans to become the Loyal Rangers under the command of Major Edward Jessup. James Parrot's property in New York was confiscated by the rebels after he joined the British Army. He served the entire war until his regiment was disbanded in 1783, after which he and his brother, John, received land grants and settled as Loyalists in Ernestown and Fredericksburgh Townships in the Bay of Quinte area of what is now Ontario. James Parrot became a farmer, land speculator and prominent Methodist, and also served as Lt. Col. of the 1st Battalion of Addington Militia during the War of 1812. He married, Mary, the daughter of John Lake/Leake who settled in Ernestown Township. James Parrot died on 22 May 1821. His brother, John, who died about 1830, organized and taught in the first school in Fredericksburgh Township.
The Papers of the Parrot family which have been microfilmed include the following material: correspondence of James Parrot concerning land; militia orders for the Addington Battalion of Militia and a Bordereau of Army Bills received from Peter Smith, 1797-1816; legal documents, including a memorial of the inhabitants of the eastern part of Ernestown, the western part of Camden, Portland and Kingston, to members of the municipal council of the Midland District concerning a road; oaths; deeds of sale from John Low, innkeeper at Beverly, and from John Lovejoy of Amherst, New Hampshire, for land in New Hampshire; James Parrot's commission as a lieutenant in the Loyal Rangers; estimate of losses in New York; deed to Peter Irish from Solomon Ball, Ernestown; and a land grant, 1769-1798. Additional legal documents include: the teaching agreements of John Parrot; land grants to John Lake/Leake, John Shibley and James Parrot; the appointment of trustees for the Methodist Meeting House; and deeds, 1800-1808. The business records of James Parrot include receipts and accounts with the following: Hamilton and Cartwright, 1786-1792; Richard Cartwright, Jr. 1793-1798, 1806-1810; as well as with Peter Smith, Benjamin Fairchild and Stephen Miles, 1786-1860. The business records of John Parrot were microfilmed for 1807 only. The records for 1808-1852 were not included in the microfilm copy of the Papers.