The Blakeney family has a long history in the Province of New Brunswick. Chambers Blakeney and his son David were residents of Ninety-Six District, South Carolina, and arrived in New Brunswick as Loyalists from South Carolina. Chambers served under Brigadier-General Robert Cunningham, Commander of the Loyalist Militia, and David served under Lt. Col. John Hamilton. Eventually, both fled to Charleston and thence to Halifax in 1782. In 1787, David presented his claim to the Loyalist Claims Commission and received a grant of 793 acres on the north bank of the Petitcodiac River in Salisbury Parish. The land was gradually parceled to other members of the family, including many of David's eight children: William, Uz, Chambers, David, James, John, George and Ruth.
The reel contains a typescript copy of, An Account of the Blakeney Family of Westmorland County, New Brunswick, based on information collected by J.B. Humphreys and rewritten by R.V. Blakeney in 1940. The material covers the origin of the name and the appearance of the first European records, the Blakeneys in South Carolina, and the establishment of the family in New Brunswick, including a list of descendants.