Collection : 1066-1930 ; (predominant 1753-1831).
|Call Number:||HIL-MICL FC LSC .N6U5B4C6|
|Creator:||University College of Cape Breton. Beaton Institute.|
|Description:||1 microfilm textual records () ; 35 mm|
The Collection includes the following sources: Reverend Ranna Cossit (1744-1815), an Anglican clergyman who came to Cape Breton from New Hampshire, personal papers, 1785-1810; Captain Cox, farmer and retired military man, memo re conveyance of real estate, n.d.; Richard Gibbons (1734-1794), first Chief Justice of Cape Breton, letter to Dr. Alex Stewart concerning the medical profession, 1785; Richard Gibbons' appointment as 2nd Lieutenant, Nova Scotia Regiment of Militia, 1753, and death certificate, 1794; Jonathan Jones (1741-1806), Baddeck's first settler, last will and testament, 1808; William McKinnon, member of the Executive Council and Registrar of Deeds, land grant, 1793; Allan MacLellan and David Taitt, indenture and mortgage, 1827, 1830; John Meloney of Sydney to James Muggah, deed, 1831; John Meloney (1738-1807), appointment as attorney for John Bond and others, 1799; John Muggah, appointment as Lieutenant in the First or Northern Regiment of Militia of the Island, 1813; John Muggah, crown lease, 1812; Richard Gibbons, Jr. from N. Nepean, character reference, 1813; N. Nepean to Richard Gibbons, Jr, letter, 1814; John O'Brien to Lieutenant-Governor J.F.W. DesBarres, memorial concerning a land and water lot at Sydney, 1787; Peters, family history, 1066-1930; Lt-Colonel John Peters (1740-1793), Queen's Loyal Rangers, a narrative, 1786; John Storey, land grant on the Sydney River, 1797; David Taitt, Survey Engineer, land grant at Miree (Mira), 1802.
|Originals:||The original records are held by the University College of Cape Breton, Beaton Institute, Sydney, Nova Scotia.|
|Archival Ref. No.:|
There is no complete Table of Contents at the beginning of the reel. A detailed Table of Contents is available in print.
|Electronic Finding Aid Record:||
University College of Cape Breton. Beaton Institute Collection Document List.pdf
The names Xavier College and Cape Bretonia Collection were changed to the University College of Cape Breton and the Beaton Institute in 1974.
Related Material: Researchers may also wish to consult Parish of St. Georges Registers, 1785-1928; and Rev. Ranna Cossit Letter Book, 1785-1789.