The New Brunswick Supreme Court of Judicature first met at Parr Town (Saint John, New Brunswick) on 1 February 1785. The Proclamation appointing the Honourable George Duncan Ludlow, Chief Justice; Honourable James Putnam, Esquire, Second Justice; and Ward Chipman, Esquire, Attorney General, was read. Colin Campbell's Commission appointing him Clerk of the Court was read and he was afterwards sworn as Clerk of the Court. The Court met in Saint John until 1 May 1787 when it moved to Fredericton.
The Records of the Court are arranged chronologically. Reel 1 contains the years 1785-1821, and this is followed on Reel 2 by the years, 1821-1829. While the typed leader on the microfilm refers to the reels as indexes, the content of the material should more properly be described as a record or minute of the proceedings. The New Brunswick Provincial Archives simply uses the term, Minutes, to describe this material. The information given includes a list of persons called and sworn for jury duty, persons sworn to give evidence, the names of the plaintiffs and the defendants, a brief description of each case, the verdict and the sentence, and other information. The Minutes include the Clerk of Circuit's report of verdicts rendered by Circuit Courts in other areas of the Province, e.g. Kingston in King's County.